A New Approach to Women’s Pelvic Health
When considering surgery for pelvic organ prolapse and/or stress urinary incontinence, here’s important information about an advanced reconstruction technique that offers multiple advantages over traditional approaches, including synthetic mesh.
Complications with Traditional Surgery
The objectives of pelvic floor surgery include improving quality of life, restoring normal function and ensuring comfort for you, the patient. However, traditional methods can fall short:
- Synthetic mesh is a foreign material that creates substantial scarring and inflammation. It is associated with complications that can include:
- Bladder injury
- Mesh contraction causing vaginal tightening and pain
- Erosion of the mesh into the bladder or rectum, causing vaginal bleeding/discharge, pelvic or groin pain, and pain with intercourse
- Native tissue repair produces scars that, while useful for supporting prolapsed tissues, can result in vaginal stenosis (narrowing of the vagina), which can cause painful sexual intercourse. Scarring can also interfere with healing.
Superior Results with DermaPure®
Uro-gynecologic surgeons are now using a different method for repair and reconstruction that helps to:
- Improve results
- Minimize complications
It centers on the use of a biologic – a special type of human tissue called dermal allograft. This tissue, DermaPure® with dCELL® technology, has been treated to remove cells and DNA while preserving the structural framework of the tissue. It serves as a scaffold, or matrix, for attachment of cells that lead to regeneration of the patient’s own tissue.
ARMS Medical supplies the dermal allograft, together with specialized tools, to leading surgeons and hospitals.
- Clean and pristine: DermaPure® allograft is a “clean canvas” that promotes rapid cell proliferation for faster healing
- Faster blood vessel replacement
- Less scarring: In comparison with other types of tissue, studies have shown that DermaPure significantly reduces scar formation
Need a Recommendation for a Hospital Utilizing DermaPure®?
There are over 60+ hospitals near many key US cities that we can recommend for pelvic organ prolapse and/or stress urinary incontinence surgery. For a recommendation, please send us a note and we will contact you.